Introduction – What is Pediatric Dentistry?
The best pediatric dentist centers located in San Antonio, TX, will be very caring, friendly and passionate toward their young patients and their family members. The best pediatric dentists believe in ensuring that their young patients have fun and teach them how to make decisions about their own care. By making dental care a fun experience they won’t grow up to be afraid of dental appointments. Pediatric dentistry is the field which specializes in the oral health and caring treatment of younger patients from infancy to teenagers. Quality dental offices and centers feature high-tech and state-of-the-art equipment such as digital radiographs and intra-oral cameras. Along with having innovative and professional equipment, they’ll also have various games in an entertainment center, toys, TV/DVD programs, and more to keep the kids entertained.
Pediatric Teeth Aging and Treatments
Children start to get their baby teeth during the first 6 months, and then during the ages of 6 or 7, they start to lose their first set of teeth. Eventually, this set is completely replaced with a permanent set. If children don’t receive regular check-ups during their early years, they’re more likely to experience tooth decay, pain, certain diseases, and even asthma or allergies. The best pediatric dentists in San Antonio, TX, provide full service oral care, which includes some of the following:
• Oral risk assessments.
• Preventive oral care including cleaning, nutrition tips, dietary recommendations and fluoride treatments.
• Pacifier and thumb sucking counseling.
• Orthodontic treatments.
• Treatment of various oral conditions such as cavities, ulcers, pediatric periodontal diseases, short frenula and the problems which occur as a result.
• Dental injury care and treatment, including sports mouth guards.
The additional procedures and specialized services which can be carried out at the best pediatric dentist offices involve:
• Hospital Dentistry
• Infant Oral Wellness and Laser Dentistry
• Non-IV Conscious Sedation
• Treating Children with Special Needs
• Zoom Bleaching
Pediatric Dentistry Education
Pediatric dentists receive four years of dental school as well as two years of residency training, and they are board certified in Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics. To keep up with the latest in pediatric dentistry and continued educational training, avid pediatric dentists become members of associations such as:
• American Dental Association
• Texas Dental Association
• San Antonio District Dental Society
• American Association of Pediatric Dentists
• American Association of General Dentists
• Texas Association of Pediatric Dentists
• San Antonio Academy of Pediatric Dentists
The best pediatric dentist believes in and teaches good oral hygiene to children and teens. They help parents to instruct their kids on how to help care for their own teeth. However for infants, they instruct parents to use a wet gauze or clean washcloth to wipe the plaque from their teeth and gums. A visit every six months is recommended, beginning with a child’s first birthday. Daily brushing after meals is always ideal and is recommended by most oral care professionals. Even though each child is different, a pediatric dentist can help a child develop the skills to maintain their teeth properly.